Deep ruby. Dark fruit, fresh and long.
Current vintage.- 2016
Blend.-90% Monastrell, 10% Grenache.
Harvest & Elaboration.- Harvested during beginning of October. Fermentation in stainless steel tanks.
Wood aging.- Aged during 6 months in French oak, a combination of barrels and 60hl oak tanks. Only a small percentage may be new.
Tasting note.- Deep ruby. Ripe, powerful scents of red and dark fruits, minerals and spices. Finishes fresh and long, with a repeating dark fruit note.
Food pairing.- An exceptional combination with red meats and stews.
- Alcohol content.- 14%
- Total acidity.- 5 gr/l (tartaric a.)
- Volatile acidity.- 0,43 gr/l (acetic a.)
- Residual sugar.- < 2 gr/l
Ratings and Reviews
- Review: Wine Advocate #152 Apr 2004 (WA)
- 91 rating “…One of the great values in the marketplace…”
- Review: WA #159 Jun 2005
- 90 rating . “…fine freshness, good definition, and a long, heady finish. It is a fabulous value…”
- Review: WA #159 Jun 2005
- (88-90) rating . “…surprising elegance, sweet blackberry, plenty of depth, ripe tannin, and admirable definition as well as finesse…fabulous value…”
- Review: WA #169 Feb 2007
- 90 rating “…The Altos de la Hoya is a perennial Best Buy in this journal…Exotic nose of earth, minerals, blueberries and blackberries…Surprisingly elegant.”
- Review: International Wine Cellar (IWC)
- 91 rating “…This has the concentration and sappy texture of a much more expensive wine….”
- Review: WA #175 Feb 2008
- 90 rating
- Review: IWC
- 91 rating “…This is one of the wine world’s most amazing values…”
- Review: WA #181 Feb 2009
- 88 rating
- Review: IWC
- 91 rating “…Here is another crazy value…”
- Review: WA #188 Abr 2010
- 88 rating “Dark ruby-colored, it proffers a nose of cigar box, leather, underbrush, and assorted black fruits. On the palate it is ripe, savory, friendly, and forward.”
- Review: IWC Sept 09
- 91 rating “…dark berries, macerated cherries, licorice and indian spices….Powerful blackberry and cassis flavors are surprisingly lively, with notes of black cardamom and candied violet adding complexity…long, spicy, subtly sweet finish.
- Review: WA #195 Jun 2011
- 90 rating “It delivers high-toned black and blue fruit flavors and aromas framed by a ripe wine with lively acidity, a smooth texture, and a pure, silky finish.”
- Review: IWC Nov/Dic 10
- 90 rating “… This is quite unlike most wines from Jumilla, which can show more richness than balance.”
- Review: IWC #159 Nov/Dec 11
- 91 rating “… Displays wonderful pliancy and focus, and has the depth to age.”
- Review: WA
- 89 rating “Clean, bright cherry robe, a polished nose of red and black fruits, well-integrated oak, with a straight palate, good acidity and the red and fruit coming back in a very pleasant finish.“
- Review: IWC #164 Sept/Oct 2012
- 91 rating “… Plenty of bang for the buck here.’’
- Review: IWC #170 Sept/oct 2013
- 91 rating “Brilliant ruby. Offering powerful raspberry and cherry aromas lifted by a sexy floral pastille note. Sappy, penetrating and emphatically fruity on the palate, offering intense red berry preserve flavors and a touch of smokiness. Energetic and seamless on the finish, which features smooth, even tannins and a echoing floral quality”
- Review: VINOUS Jan-2016
- 91 rating “Glass-staining ruby. Deep pitched, seductive aromas of black and blue fruits, cola and candied violet are complicated by smoky mineral and licorice nuances. Smooth, sweet and focused in the mouth, offering sappy blackberry and cherry compote flavors and a hint of spicecake. The penetrating finish shows excellent focus, a floral-inflected persistence and an echoing mineral note.“
- Review: VINOUS Oct-2018.
- 90 Rating. With its suave blend of rich dark fruit and energetic floral and spice qualities, this juicy Spanish red will pair well with a range of foods, especially grilled meats. It also drinks wonderfully by itself. Supple tannins and subtle grip keep the exuberant fruit in check.