Fruit-driven, fresh, pepper notes.
Current vintage.- 2018
Blend.- 75% Monastrell, 15% Grenache, 10% Syrah.
Harvest & Elaboration.- Harvested during second half of September and first week of October. Fermentation in stainless steel tanks.
Wood aging.- 3 months in French oak vats.
Tasting note.- Dark berries and cherry notes. Fresh in the mouth, we again perceive a sweet, vibrant dark fruit, with touches of pepper accompanied by good acidity.
Food pairing.- Ideal for accompanying a wide variety of dishes, from flavorful, meaty-textured fish to pasta, meat and aged cheese.
- Alcohol content.- 14.50%
- Total acidity.- 5,1 gr/l (tartaric a.)
- Volatile acidity.- 0,31 gr/l (acetic a.)
- Residual sugar.- < 2 gr/l
Ratings and Reviews
- Review: Wine Advocate #169 Feb 2007 (WA)
- 89 rating “It is dark ruby on color with aromas of earht, minerals, kirsch and black fruits. Medium to full bodied, with sweet, ripe fruit, a supple feel on the palate, and a long, pure finish. It is hard to believe that $7 can buy so much wine.”
- Review: International Wine Cellar (IWC)
- 89 rating “Bright violet. Spicy, licorice-inflected aromas of dark berries and cherry. Very fresh in the mouth, the vibrant, sweet berry and spice flavors framed by brightening acidity. Delicious, fruit-driven wine, finishing on a note of cracked pepper. This is really suave for the price.”
- Review: WA #175 Feb 2008
- 88 rating
- Review: IWC
- 88 rating “Bright red. Vibrant dark berry aromas are tightly wound, with slow-building spicy character and bright minerality. Gains sweetness with air, finishing with a bitter cherry quality and impressive lenght. This is remarkably elegant for the price.”
- Review: WA #181 Feb 2009
- 87 rating
- Review: IWC
- 89 rating “Vivid ruby. Pinot-like red berries and cherry on the nose, with peppery spices and floral nuances adding interest. Fleshier cherry and dark berry flavors are smooth and sweet, with no obvious tannins. Gentle raspberry and blackberry notes echo on the surprisingly persistent finish. This is an outrageous bargain.”
- Review: WA #188 Abr 2010
- 86 rating “It delivers alluring aromas of underbrush, plum, and blackberry. This leads to a slightly compact but tasty offering with ample savory fruit that is meant for drinking over the next 3 years.”
- Review: IWC
- 89 rating “Bright violet. Fresh, energetic dark berry and floral aromas are complemented by cracked pepper and licorice. Relies more on its zesty acidity than on tannins for structure. The finish repeat the cherry note and delivers very good punch and cut. This a superb value.”
- Review: IWC
- 89 rating “Inky purple. An exotically perfumed bouquet of dark berry preserves, apricot and fruitcake. Round, fleshy blackberry and cherry flavors are quite primary, picking up a peppery quality with air. Shows no rough edges and finishes with very good clarity and sweet, sappy persistence. This is an excellent value.”
- Review: IWC#159 Nov-2011
- 90 rating “Bright purple. Exotic aromas of red and dark berries, peach pit, anise and violet; I’d have guessed that there was more syrah in here. Deep, sappy blackberry and blueberry flavors are refreshingly bright and edge-free. A smoky mineral note comes up on the long, sweet, focused finish. I like this wine’s clarity and balance;it’s also a remarkable value.”
- Review: IWC#164 Sep-2012
- 90 rating “Bright purple. Fresh dark berries and cherry on the fragrant, spicy nose. Lively black raspberry and bitter cherry flavors show good depth and focus, with a suave floral quality building with air. Closes on a tangy note, with no rough edges and very good clarity. As usual, this is a crazy value.”
- Review: WA#217 Feb 2015
- 89 rating “If you’re looking for one of the best values in all of Spain, the 2013 Olivares is a good candidate. It’s a blend of Monastrell with 15% Syrah and 10% Garnacha fermented in stainless steel with indigenous yeasts and matured for three months in 10,000liter French oak vats. It’s clean and fruitdriven with dominant notes of plums and cherries with a tasty palate, easy to drink but with enough bite to stand up to some food.“
- Review: VINOUS Ene 2016
- 90 rating “Bright violet color. High-pitched aromas of dark berries and cherry are complicated by suggestions of lavender and white pepper. The palate shows very good energy, with pliant blackberry and cherry flavors gaining weight in the glass. The finish clings with subtle, shaping tannins and juicy berry and spicecake qualities. Tough to beat this one on the value front.”
- Gold Medal. Concours Mondial de Bruxelles 2015.